- Boards & Commissions
- Board of Equalization
BOARD OF EQUALIZATION
The Board of Equalization is an independent body organized to hear appeals of various determinations made by the Assessor's determination of assessed valuations and to equalize property. The Board and Clerk are separate from and operate independently from the Douglas County Assessor.
The Board is also responsible for equalizing the assessed values so that all real and personal properties in Douglas County are assessed equitably at 100% of their true and fair value, with comparable properties assessed at comparable values.
The Douglas County Board of Equalization is made up of the Douglas County Commissioners. Douglas County hires an independent Hearing Examiner to proceed over Board of Equalization hearings (Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 458-14-136). The Hearing Examiner hears appeals and provides a recommendation to the Board of Equalization. The goal is to provide an impartial hearing environment that protects each party's due process rights.
FILING AN APPEAL:
FILING DEADLINE: To appeal an Assessor's valuation of property from your recently mailed Change of Value Notice you must file a complete appeal petition with the Douglas County Board of Equalization. The petition must be filed or postmarked by July 1st of the assessment year or within thirty (30) days of the mailing date printed on your Change of Value Notice.
Appeal Packet for Douglas County
ELECTRONIC: Must be received by 5 p.m.
By choosing to submit your appeal electronically, you are consenting to receive any future communication via the email provided on the petition. Please submit your appeals to the following email address: BOE@CO.DOUGLAS.WA.US
US MAIL DELIVERY:
Douglas County Board of Equalization
P.O. Box 747
Waterville, WA 98858
WALK-IN DELIVERY ONLY:
Public Service Building
140 19th Street NW
East Wenatchee, WA 98802
***If your taxes are due, you will need to pay your taxes by the date they are due to avoid penalties and interest. Should a change in valuation occur, your account will be credited the difference.***
2022 for 2023
Change of Value Notices: Change of Value Notices mailed October 28, 2022
Appeal Filing Deadline: November 28, 2022
28 Day Regular Session: March 17, 2023-April 13, 2023
Annual Meeting: March 20, 21 and 23, 2023 as noted on the Board of Commissioners Agenda for the week of March 20, 2023.
Meeting Date: July 12 & 13, 2023 (Residential), TBD (Commercial)
Agenda: Review and approve recommended 2022 Board of Equalization Orders
Record of Hearing Proceedings:
2021 for 2022
- Change of Value Notices: Change of Value Notices mailed November 26, 2021.
- Appeal filing deadline: December 26, 2021.
- 28 Day Regular Session: January 21, 2023-February 20, 2023
- Meeting Date: December 1, 2022
- Annual Meeting: February 13, 14, and 15, 2023 as noted on the Board of Commissioners Agenda for the week of February 13, 2023.
- Agenda: Review and approve recommended 2021 Board of Equalization Orders
- Record of Hearing Proceedings: 2021 for 2022 Hearing Summary
2020 to 2021
- Meeting Date: July 20, 2021
- Agenda: Reviewed and approved recommended 2020 Board of Equalization Orders
- Annual Meeting: December 14, 15 & 16th as noted on the Board of Commissioners Agenda for the week of December 14, 2020.
- 28 Day Regular Session: December 4, 2020-December31, 2020
- Change of Value Notices: Change of Value Notices mailed October 12, 2020
- Appeal filing deadline: November 12, 2020
- Record of Hearing Proceedings: 2020 for 2021 Hearing Summary (PDF)
2019 to 2020
- Meeting Date: July 27, 2020
- Agenda: Reviewed and approved recommended 2019 Board of Equalization Orders
- Annual Meeting: October 28, 29 and 30th as noted on the Board of County Commissioners Agenda for the Week of October 28, 2019
- 28 Day Regular Session: Convened October 18, 2019 and end November 15, 2019
- Change of Value Notices: Change of Value Notices mailed August 26, 2019
- Appeal filing deadline: September 26, 2019
- Record of Hearing Proceedings: 2019 to 2020 Hearing Summary (PDF)
2018 to 2019
- Meeting Date: July 23, 2019
- Agenda: Reviewed and approved recommended 2018 Board of Equalization Orders
- Record of Hearing Proceedings: 2018 to 2019 Hearing Summary (PDF)
- Department of Revenue Guidelines for Appealing
- Real Property Petition Application
- Petition Widrawal Request
- Waiver of Late Filing Request-Douglas County
Related Forms & Publications:
- Should property owners contact the Assessor’s Office to settle property value disagreements?
- How does the Assessor value property?
- How can I appeal the assessed valuation of my property?
- What is the deadline for filing a Petition for Appeal?
- How can I appeal a decision made by the Board of Equalization?
Resources and Tools for Appealing
- Douglas County Property Search Tool
- Douglas County Property Sale Search Tool
- WA State Comparable Sales Data Worksheet @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>